Follow awfulagent on Twitter

About Me

A blog wherein a literary agent will sometimes discuss his business, sometimes discuss the movies he sees, the tennis he watches, or the world around him. In which he will often wish he could say more, but will be obliged by business necessity and basic politeness and simple civility to hold his tongue. Rankings are done on a scale of one to five Slithy Toads, where a 0 is a complete waste of time, a 2 is a completely innocuous way to spend your time, and a 4 is intended as a geas compelling you to make the time.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Assassination of Jesse James

Seen on DVD, on my HUGE screen (20") on Tuesday March 4. No Slithy Toads

I didn't quite know what to do with this when it had its theatrical release. I like Brad Pitt, it was very serious minded, it certainly seemed Worthy of Being Seen. But it was a long movie. The reviews were all over the map from "there be dragons" to you must must must see it. I ended up not seeing it in the theatres, but I felt guilty about it in a way I very rarely and hardly ever do. So I did something I do hardly ever, and I promised myself I'd look at the DVD. Thank you, Queens Borough Public Library.

And I am SO glad I didn't pay for this in the theatre. To be sure, you never know how something might play differently in a big theatre vs. a TV at home; there are movies I've loved more than I should have because I saw them at the Loews Astor Plaza. But I can't see this as one of them. Nothing happens. Lots of pretty scenery to look at. But NOTHING HAPPENS. I decided I'd rather be working out at the gym than watching a movie from the comfort of my recliner. That is not a recommendation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you crazy!? This movie was amazing, visually and otherwise.

I am so sorry that there wasn't an explosion every ten minutes to help keep you entertained.